Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Winning Treasury #160

Some words from Kellie...

I would like to start by thanking Sarah for choosing my treasury last week.  I feel like I "know" her from being on this and other teams together, and to be chosen by her is a huge honor in my eyes.  Thank you, Sarah.


Another thanks goes out to Sage, who got the NonTeam to the front page with this treasury.  Woohoo!  Thank you Sage - you're amazing!

Lastly, thank you to everyone who participated.  You made me feel blessed beyond measure.  You may have read on the chat thread that last week was an intense one for me.  My husband and I foster refugee minors until they turn 21, and we got word that our first foster son is on his way from the Congo and will be here by Thanksgiving.  Later that night, we were asked to take an emergency placement as well - a little 4-month-old girl.  All of a sudden, my life blew up!  I was insanely happy, and then to be blessed by this community of Nonteammies at the same time was just the icing on the cake.  The crazy, hectic, what-have-I-gotten-myself-into cake.  In all seriousness, whenever I started to feel flustered or out of control or stressed, I would sit down and look at some of the amazing treasuries you all created, and they grounded me.  I was able to simply focus on the beauty and works of art you built around my little photo, and I was calmed.  So thank you for bringing me back to earth.  Thank you also for your patience and understanding as I left such a generic, cut-&-paste comment on each treasury.  Your treasuries deserved more than that, and I understand how frustrating it is to spend hours on a treasury only to receive a dull, mindless comment from someone featured.  So thank you for allowing me to do that, as my mind was multi-tasking like a boss.

And on to the winner!

While there were dozens of contenders, there was one that I kept coming back to.  The history behind it was something I hadn't seen in any others, and I was a total sucker for it.  I love that what is now tradition to me was once part of a woman's brave, new world.  The treasury spoke to me as a woman, a mother, a wife, and as a pioneer into the unknown direction my life is heading.  It reminded me to be brave and strong in my journey, and to be thankful for what I have been given.  It reminded me to keep family traditions alive, and to pass them down to my patchwork quilt of a family.  My husband doesn't understand the appeal of this treasury, but I wouldn't expect him to.  This treasury was made for me, not him.  It was made for the strong, unsung heroes - the women working tirelessly to make a house into a home, a mismatched group into a family.  And the treasury reminds us to leave a bit of the wild in there too.  Not everything can be tamed, and isn't that the way we want it?   And so I am happy to name Pam the winner of this round for her treasury "A Woman's Brave New World."


'A Woman's Brave New World' by vintagecocobythelake

Sepia Print The Mayflower in Plymouth Harbor 1911 - BarnshopAntiques
vintage black pilgrim dress// lace collar schoolgirl// small medium - AdieHolly
antique hinged box, lettered Mayflower on top of hinged box, for Mattson Rubber Company New York, inlaid decorative wood trim. - vintagestew2
Williamsburg Wagon Wheel Crochet Doily Pattern, c.1942 - knittingneedler
Thanksgiving Art Print - Printable File Instant Download - Typography Art Print with Quote - Thanksgiving Decoration - MooseberryPrintables
berries still life - a Printable Photograph - dahlies
Turkey Bird Fowl Woodcut Style - Digital Image - Vintage Illustration - DigitaIDecades
Digital Art Pilgrims Landing at Plymouth Paper Ephemera Colonial Era Instant Download Printable Scrapbooking - PaperGaia
Gothic photography, ritual art, black candle, book, still life, black and white print, dark art, gothic decor, vintage - TheAuthentik
Vintage Collection of Pewter Colonial Bowl and Century old  Cups - BuslinHeirlooms
5x x7 Church Photo, Black And White Photography, Rustic Home Decor, Old Church Print, Religious Photo - GiaJuryPhotography
Snow Stallion - Fine Art Horse Photograph - WildHoofbeats
Beckon, black and white photograph, 8x10, cornfield, Halloween, spooky, mysterious, corn maze, fine art photo, Salem - LemonCageCollective
Vintage Natural  Broom Early American #2 Photo prop  Halloween Fall  Witches Broom - CANDLEBERRYMARKET
Graveyard Photography, 8x10 Art Print - ArtbyOrlando
vintage 60s Navy Blue Leather Heels / Buckle Pilgrim Heels / Mary Jane Leather Shoes / squared toe / narrow width / appx sz 9 - shopgoodgrace


Congrats to Pam!  She will be choosing the inspiration item for Challenge #161 from her shop VintageCocoByTheLake.  She'll also be judging the Challenge.  Check the team discussion page for a "Laying Odds" thread to make suggestions / predictions on the inspiration item.  We only have today to help choose the item, so please be sure to pop in.

1 comment:

J. K. said...

Oh my gosh, love that treasury! And sooo love what you said about it, the history, and so on, Kellie. Some of my ancestors came over on the Mayflower, and I know I am awed whenever I think about their courage to get in that boat, sail across a vast ocean, and start a new life in an uncivilized land. This collection really touches that in a great way.